Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Phone Evolution

If men evolved. . . Phones do, too!

Technology leaped a great distance during the times and will still leap throughout time. I may not have noticed it before, but now I do, clearly. When I was born, we don't have a cellphone, or maybe my parents were just late on having one. I remember having our first cellphone when I was in grade 1 (i guess). That was year 2000. The start of the new millenium. I was so small back then, that I do not know what my father was talking about as regards to the new millenium. He was talking about computers, viruses, cellphones, and the millenium bug? Yes. The millenium bug. That was all I could remember. Way back, my father tells it with a face of grave concern, (or maybe I was just thinking it was) that made me fear the millenium bug. I thought it was a tool for world domination, bugs made out of nanotechnology, crawl over our bodies and eat us alive. Well, I was a kid. And kids think rather bizarre. Who could have thought? haha. I really did laugh when I found out what was the millenium bug years after.

So back to cellphones, shall we?

Our first cellphone was Alcatel. Just look at that tiny screen, and compare it to phones nowadays. I was happy when I found out of this new technology where you can send messages to other people who also has cellphones. There's no unlimited text promos before, and text messages are priced 1 peso per text message. Loads are bought and acquired through buying prepaid cards. There's no AutoLoadMax or SmartLoad back then. The lowest load available is 100.
I loved scratching this part. :D
Cellphones with antennas were the trend. There was Nokia 5110, the most famous of them all.


But like all other products, it was replaced by something better. When you have it, it gives you a symbol of wealth and sense of edge over the others. I could play all night with the famous games, snake, bantumi and space impact! My friends and I would often play alternate games to beat each other's high scores. And tadaa! I introduce you to Nokia 3310, and 3315.


The days when i buy various stylish cases for 3310 were fun. People brag about how nice their casings are, some even upgraded their phones to change the font and have multicolored backlights.

Nokia 3310 age has been surpassed by other fabulous phones. These are phones which have colored displays, cameras, music players, infrared (later bluetooth) and the like. Some even have sleek and stylish designs. Some are folded and sliding phones.




I guess we'll just have to fast forward. Next are the emergence of phones that have qwerty keypads, internet-abled phones, and before we even noticed, there are the smartphones with full touch displays, HD display, wifi, voice recognition and all sorts. (My technology obsessed friend would explain this better, sigh) Almost everyone has it. I know it;s not gonna stop at that. There's more to it. One phone would surpass another phone in just a few months. Well,I wouldn't be shocked if phones of the following years water proof, dust proof, scratch proof, bullet proof! Worse or better, some might be pure glass or transparent phones and holographic icons and apps like those in the movies. Your phones might even send you to outer space sooner or later. We would never know what lies ahead.





I lost my phone a few days ago. I searched for a possible phone replacement at the mall, but i'm not interested with smartphones coz I already have one. It's not that great like the other smart phones, coz I had a smartphone earlier than other people had it. It was really expensive when i bought it, and to my greatest dismay, the price had gone down the following months. See how fast technology change? My smartphones, tab, iPad, Ipod and all sorts of technology obsessed and freaked out friend whose name i wouldn't mention, (sorry, Jeremy) even think it's already obsolete, and urges me to buy a new one. As for me, I'd love to go back to clamshell designs, or slide phones. They say it's very vulnerable, but I don't care. I love weird looking phones. I searched for clamshells at phone stalls but out of many stalls, I only found two models. >.<

To my greatest dismay, most were smartphones. The days of phones with keypads would soon be over. 

T.T

Note to public: Pictures are not mine. :D



No comments:

Post a Comment