Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pol.Sci's Legislative Pilgrimage - Day 4


The last day! We gotta make it the best!

Today’s the last chance of visiting the places we’ve missed yesterday. And also, we’re checking out of the BSA Tower which has been our residence for the entire tour. We fixed our things meticulously to ensure we have not forgotten anything. And to my dismay, I found out later on that I forgot the leaflets handed to us by the Ombudsman.

We boarded the bus and headed to the Malacañang Complex as our first itinerary for today. We were all in a hurry ‘coz we’re running on a real tight schedule.

It was a long walk before we reached Malacañang.



We queued up outside for security measures, placed stickers on digital cameras as a permission to take pictures in the museum. The Malacañang Complex is situated on such a beautiful and peaceful community – far from traffic, far from the huge buildings, and far from the city noise and land pollution. Even before reaching the place, I expected the road to Malacañang would be grand. But I was disappointed to see, houses and narrow streets. But when we got past that, and got off the bus, I realized it was such  nice community to live with at the heart of Manila.



We were led in a hall with seats facing a podium with Malacañan seal. There, we were told where to use “Malacañang” and “Malacañan”.  There, we were assembled and told us preliminary statements before entering the museum.

We went in various offices of the Presidents of the Philippines. We saw significant items and we knew that the building was historical itself.






Thimble used for the Philippine Flag

Marcos's table when he declared martial law

chandelier made of pure swarovski crystals

outside malacanan palace

Before leaving Malacañang, we bought some souvenir items from the shop. I was about to buy the mug with Malacañang seal on it but Geric got ahead of me. Sir Shim was dismayed about it too and even haggled with Geric to have it for five hundred pesos.

We were such in hurry for the Supreme Court was already waiting for us.

The obstructed feeling yesterday was now fulfilled and completed by merely stepping down the Supreme Court’s grounds and seeing the large seal in front. I can’t believe my eyes! The funny thing is, Department of Justice was just situated next to the Supreme Court knowing that they are under different departments.




Upon entering the country’s seat of justice, we were welcomed in its cozy reception area.
There, we were told the house rules and took pictures.



We were ushered to the en banc session hall where we were national security cases and other national issues were heard. We were lectured all about Supreme Court and the technicalities about that en banc hall. After wards we were given the opportunity to take pictures.



counsel's table




The feeling inside the Supreme Court and especially in that en banc session hall was really overwhelming that it sent chills all over my body. A bit exaggerated? Hell no. That’s exactly how I felt. Reading court dramas and imagining hearings in courts were my only pictures of a court. And now, look! The first court I’ve ever entered was the Supreme Court’s en banc hall. I was just so happy. I’ve always dreamed of entering a court and be able to present my case later on.

It wasn’t my first time with eating my meal in a fast moving vehicle. The first time I did it, I almost threw up. But I was able to hold it up until we reached a stable and unmoving environment. But this time, even we had Maxx’s for lunch, I lost my appetite. Not only because the bus was moving fast but because my food was messed up before it was given to me. The soup spilled making my packed lunch vulnerable to any unwanted movement.

Our last itinerary for the whole tour was the House of Representatives. It was such a huge and spacious building. We were allowed to enter the plenary session hall. It really looked like it is on television with the huge Philippine flag hanging at the center. There where two hundred and fifty tables and chairs below and an elevated portion just beneath the flag for the house speaker. The whole place was like a cultural center if I were to describe it.



We were lectured about the technicalities of the plenary hall and of course the House of Representatives itself. We also knew that supposedly, on Tuesday, the day we’re scheduled at the House of Representatives, Miss Universe runner up Shamcey Supsup was to be awarded the legalities of her winning. It was really disappointing! Imagine yourself seeing such beauty without exerting too much effort of mixing with other people! We were also dismayed to know that session starts at 4pm and that our flight back home was also 4pm.
Afterwards, we were allowed to take pictures. But everything was really a rash since we still have a flight to catch up.



Before heading to the airport, we were called upon Congressman Jerry Treñas courtesy. There we had a small talk about how unfortunate we are and took a picture with him.



We are all now good to go still with slacken hearts because of how this tour ended up. It was such a real disappointed not having to watch a session and seeing Shamcey! At that time, I really blamed Pedring for all the casualties it has inflicted in the Manila area and our tour.


No comments:

Post a Comment