Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pol.Sci's Legislative Pilgrimage - DAY 2

The long and exhausting sea voyage has been done, and we’re ready to embark on our next journey. However, the weather wasn’t so good that we can’t see much of the Manila area. In addition, we were so tired of the whole duration of the travel.

Moving on – day 2! September 26, 2011

The 7107 islands bus took us to our designated residence for the entire duration of the tour – the BSA Tower residence at Makati. We were given keys to our respective rooms to wash up and get ready for our next stop – Wendy’s for breakfast! The room was nice and cozy. I didn’t expect it to be that big. In fact, we knew later on after comparing rooms with my other classmates that our room was better than the others.

After having breakfast at Wendy's, we jammed with the Manila traffic as we set on our course to Ombudsman. The tour guide was rambling stuff about Manila, which I have not taken into consideration because I can’t see it anyway. For your information, I was sitting at the special chair at the center where all you can see are your companion’s faces.

We reached the Ombudsman safe and sound. I tried to take a picture of it from the bus but all that was taken was a vague picture of the building’s facade with drops of water blocking your view.



Anyway, I lost hope and proceeded to the building jogging and covering my head as if that would protect me from the rain. We went under security measures and proceeded to the conference room to have our lecture.

Unfortunately, Ombudsman Conchita Carpio- Morales was too busy to meet us up, however, the Assistant Ombudsman was there to welcome us and a lawyer was there to conduct a lecture. We tackled up about the office’s mandates, functions and importance. They also handed us reading materials before proceeding to our seats. During the lecture we were given a paper where we would write the things we have learned and our comments about the office. I pointed out their measures on their anti-graft advocacy.



By the way, the room temperature was so low, it must have been meant to freeze our brains up!

Lunch is coming up next. Actually we were already running late of schedule. The ombudsman has also prepared us snacks which we kept for a while for we are on a tight schedule and we're having lunch anyway.

Chef’s Quarter Restaurant was great. I was really wondering by then how the 9,600 was enough for all the places we’re going. Thinking and writing about this stuff makes me hungry and regret why I didn’t consume the food served.






I didn’t expect that a body of water and an under developed piece of land was there to welcome us, in front of the House of senate compound. Too bad I wasn’t able to take a picture of it.

I still can’t believe that I’ve set my foot on the birthplace of laws. I was quiet the whole time as we trudged the stairs and until we reached the session hall where I could only see on the television until now.




We were seated and were waiting for the session to commence. During the wait, we’ve seen senators walk past us and proceed to their respective tables.





By the way, Sen. Bong Revilla was really handsome though he’s a bit aged. Senators Loren Legarda and Pia Cayetano were also gorgeous rich ladies. I was waiting for my idol, Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago, but I don’t think she came.
The session was suspended for a while and we grabbed the opportunity of meeting Sen. Angara for his courtesy call. We were gathered at the Senate's Conference Hall and waited for the Senator to arrive.


"Why did you take up Political Science?" That was the question he shoved to us. The three best answers for that question shall be awarded a scholarship. When he said that I was a bit hesitant for a while but due to the need of having a scholarship, I fought down my fear and answered dumbly! I don't know. I just don't wanna think about that anymore.


After the courtesy call, the Senate prepared us some snacks. It's funny how we manage to eat at THE SENATE. Imagine yourself eating and messing around senate. It was such a nice feeling.


                                                         This is where your taxes go!



                                                                  Messing around Senate!

After eating, we proceeded to the Senate Museum and took some pictures. Various significant items were kept there.







The tour at the Senate museum was over and we are going back to the session hall to witness a session. When we came, only four (4) of the senators were left, Senators Jinggoy Estrada, Juan Ponce Enrile, Pia Cayetano and Tito Sotto. Senate President Enrile was debating Sen. Cayetano regarding the Reproductive Health Bill, and Sen. Estrada was the presiding officer at the moment.

It was nice to listen to the actual lawmaking procedure. There was complete order in the senate. Cell phones must be in silent mode, complete silence, and no sleeping (a classmate of mine was caught sleeping and was confronted.) And also, the debate was going smoothly as if they were only having a mere conversation.

At 6’oclock, the session ended. We went to Sky Dragon Sea foods and Restaurant to have our dinner. By then, I was not in the mood to eat because of some circumstances at home which I wouldn’t mention, so I ate a little and decided not to talk for a while to ponder over matters came running in my mind.

The 4th years were supposed to visit Ocean Park but great thanks to Pedring, who has just became signal no. 2, the trip to Ocean Park was canceled. That brought us to head back to the Hotel and have a luxurious rest.

End of day 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment