Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Phone Call

After weeks of waiting, I already knew the result of my exam at WVSU, which also means I already know if I’d be going to Iloilo or rot here in Mindanao.

I checked my e-mail that day, hoping I would get a response from WVSU. Luckily, I got one, but it didn’t state my result. Instead, I was forwarded to inquire to another office. It was the registrar’s. I dialed the hotline provided on my e-mail – (033) 320-0870 loc 108.

It rang, maybe at least thrice; a pause filled the air for a second, then, “Welcome to West Visayas State University. If you know the local number, please dial it now. If you wish to talk – “A voice mail, I thought. I punched 1-0-8, and it rang. I’ve waited for a couple of minutes and heard a sudden click.

“Hello”, I heard a woman say. She sounded nice and sweet talking, yet speaks a little lazy. We exchanged greetings and I moved on to my purpose. She told me to wait for a few minutes. So I was left on the line in an unbearable silence. I’ve waited for several minutes but it seemed like years! I could hear mutterings, and stomps of heavy drawers I guess. After the time elapsed, I heard a distant shuffling of feet. I heard myself inhale a great mass of air for I would be knowing my standings. I was disappointed when she asked me another question. I answered it with gritted teeth. Afterward, she told me once more, to wait. Oh! How I hate waiting!
She went on the line again.

(Please read with feelings and add a little emphasis on Ilonggo’s way of speaking on WVSU’s staff.)

WVSU: Miss, ano gani ang last name ah?

Ako: Kapunan

WVSU: ano mam? Katungan?

Ako: Kapunan

WVSU: Katunan?

Ako: KA – PU – NAN

WVSU: paki spell na lang mam.

Ako: K..A..P..U..N..A..N

WVSU: ah, Katunam.

Ako: (gaga!) Kapunan po.

WVSU: ano mam?

Ako: K..A..P –as in pig, U..N..A..N – as in nanay.

WVSU: ah okay mam. Sorry lang. wait lang gid kadali mam ha? Pangitaon ko pa.

And so I waited again. . . What the heck is wrong with that woman! I got nothing to do but laughed on the situation we just had a while ago. Hahaha.

She was on the other line again and I hope she already has the information. I’ve already wasted so much of my precious time with this phone call.

WVSU: Mam? Ano gani spelling sing KAPUNAN ah? Letter C?

Ako: (AAAHHH!!!) (Expelled a sigh of disbelief) letter K.

That was the last time she pissed me off. Haha. She told me I passed and got the score of 138. I was really incredulous of how she picked up so lame! No, offense to you Miss. But you really pissed me off.

See how much effort I’ve exerted for such information? This means, I should be going in that school, no matter what. Ha ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment